Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sophomore Spinout 2017: Low Poly Model 2016 Tesla Model S -premod.

If you haven't been able to tell the big project for us this semester is Sophomore Spinout 2017Spinout is a game developed by the whole Sophomore class where we choose a car to model, make a thematic racetrack to race, and an arena to battle our cars.  After choosing out cars we have to envision a modded out version of them that is battle ready.  I chose a 2016 Tesla Model S.



 When I was thinking of cars to do I decided to choose one of the most controversial cars on the drag strip.  The Tesla is known for having pure torque and blazing speeds off the line.  This is what led me to come to the decision that the Tesla would likely be super powerful in a multiplayer battle arena, because, in my opinion, battle is much more fun than just racing.



For the concept of my Tesla, instead of making a Mad Max post apocalyptic bruiser like most of the others, I decided my car would be a sci-fi futuristic tactician.  The Tesla utilizes the massive amount of torque to catch enemies, and sticking with the electric car theme, has a Tesla Coil gun that rises out of the frunk to roast them in an aoe lightning arc fashion.  The car features a wider lower body than the base Model S, and will have emissive inserts that change color when hitting an enemy with the coil weapon.


 The coil weapon will be reminiscent of something like this with protective heat\flash shields.  If you start the above video at about 7 minutes you can see the beam shift color on impact with metal.  Hit registration is something I think will set this weapon apart if I can make it work.  We tested previous years' Spinouts and I could not tell when I was hitting the other players or not.



We had to start off with low poly models of our cars.  Below are a couple screenshots of the progress so far.  I was able to pull these off with about 5k triangles, with optimization to come next.

Front Quarter Panel unmodded Low Poly smoothed

A couple issues our teacher noted were angles on the back bumper and headlights, being a bit too sharp and the rear wheel well being a bit too far back.  I will address these in the modding stage as all of those issues are likely to change drastically with the body kit.


Rear Quarter Panel unmodded Low Poly smoothed

No comments:

Post a Comment